Learning approaches and 70:20:10
- 10% of learning happens at formal sessions
- 20% of learning happens with coaching, study and role modelling
- 70% of learning happens on the job through peers and projects.
The multi-generational workforce
According to research and advisory services firm Josh Bersin and Associates, the multi-generational aspect of today’s workforce requires different learning approaches:
- the traditionalists, currently aged 61 and over, look to facilitator-led face-to-face learning and are prepared to do homework and reading—their learning style is ‘teach me’
- the ‘boomers’, 42–60 years old, are also traditional but expert-driven and self-driven—their learning style is ‘lead me to information’
- Gen X are team-driven and collaborative, and believe in the collective wisdom—their learning style is ‘connect me to people’
- Gen Y or Millennials need context, meaning and fun—their learning style is ‘connect me to everything!’.