DeakinPrime respects the privacy of users of its website and complies with the Information Privacy Act 2000 (Vic).
Collecting information about users of the website
The Deakin University web server, and cookies installed by the server on users' computers' hard drives, record the following non-identifying information in relation to all users:
- the user's computer address and an anonymous user-id (identifier)
- the web browser and browser version being used to access the site (for example, Firefox version 10.0.2)
- the operating system on the user's computer
- the web page the user was accessing immediately prior to accessing a Deakin web page
- the pages and files viewed and files downloaded on the Deakin domain
- the date, time and duration of the user's visit
- successful authentications to restricted areas on the site.
A cookie is a small text file which has a limited lifetime. Information supplied by cookies helps us learn about how people use our site, analyse our visitors and provide users with a better user experience. A cookie allows a web server to 'remember' the visitor on subsequent visits without having to prompt the visitor for information previously supplied. A cookie may also be used to personalise your web experience. An example of this would be a cookie remembering courses you previously viewed.
The installation of cookies may be blocked via the user's web browser if the user does not wish to accept cookies, but this may mean that the user will not be able to access some parts of the University's website without re-authenticating on each visit. Web browser software contains a function enabling the user to delete all cookies on their computer's hard drive.
Some areas of Deakin's web environment may offer users the opportunity to supply personal information to enable the University to provide specific services to a user, such as:
- providing access to restricted areas of the website
- enabling web-based knowledge sharing with Deakin staff or students (e.g. providing web spaces in which groups of individuals interact to pursue mutual goals, such as achieving a shared, collaboratively developed understanding of a new or complex concept)
- enabling delivery of responses to users' enquiries via email
- providing specific requested information to users via email.
A user may also choose to provide personal information during the completion of online surveys or forms or in offering feedback about the website.
Personal information will be managed by Deakin University in accordance with the Information Privacy Act 2000.
Internet use risks
The University has security measures in place to guard against the loss or corruption of information gathered through its website, including regular data backups, firewalls, data encryption and access-controlled areas. However, there are inherent risks in transmitting information across the internet as intrusion by unauthorised third parties is technically possible. If you are concerned about conveying sensitive material over the Internet, you might prefer to contact the University in person, by telephone or mail. Deakin University's contact details are available online.
Links to external websites
As a convenience to users of the website some links to external websites are provided on Deakin web pages. If a link to an external website is pursued, its privacy statement or other relevant information provided on that site should be consulted as the University is not responsible for the collection and handling of your personal information on external websites.
Access to and correction of personal information held by the University
Access to and correction of personal information held by the University is managed in accordance with the Freedom of Information Act 1982 (Vic).Further information about freedom of information requests is available online.
Enquiries or complaints about the management of personal information
Enquiries or complaints about the management of your personal information at the University may be directed to the University's Privacy Officer as follows:
By email: email@example.com
Office of the University Solicitor
Geelong Waterfront Campus
Locked Bag 20000
Geelong Vic 3220